How To Banish Blackheads For Good
Posted on July 05 2017
There are three things that are certain in life: death, taxes, and blackheads.
OK, maybe not for everyone, but these pesky little imperfections can really get in the way of our clear skin dreams.
If blackheads are the bane of your existence, you need to get serious about giving them the boot with these home remedies and professional strength products.
What causes blackheads?
Despite what many people think, blackheads aren’t caused from dirt. They’re actually caused by your body producing too much oil that then clogs your pores. The surface of the clog or plug turns dark when exposed to air, and we’re left with little black dots, commonly on the nose, chin, or even on the back and chest.
Home Remedies for Blackheads
Firstly, put those fingers down – squeezing your blackheads won’t do you any good. In fact, it can cause inflammation, infection and even scarring. If you’re prone to recurring blackheads and just want those suckers out of your skin, visit a dermatologist or skincare professional for a safe extraction.
In the meantime, these are some great home remedies for reducing your blackheads:
- Wash your face every morning and night to remove excess oil
- Exfoliate once or twice a week to scrub away dead skin cells that can contribute to clogged pores
- Stick to face products (moisturisers, sunscreens, and makeup) that are oil-free
- Try using pore strips from your local chemist or supermarket to temporarily remove blackheads
- Try using a mud mask for deep-down cleaning (you’ll find these at your local chemist or supermarket too)
- Dilute fresh lemon juice with a bit of water and apply with a cotton bud (lemon juice helps to fight impurities and tighten pores)
- Make a face mask or peel out of egg whites (egg whites help to remove existing blackheads and prevent future ones).
Our Favourite Products for Blackheads
Send blackheads packing with these professional-strength products targeted at treating blackheads:
- Aspect Cellablation – Specifically formulated for oily and congested skin types, this exfoliating scrub detoxifies the skin for a more even texture.
- CosMedix Clarity Serum - Stimulate & Renew. Salicylic Acid, Tea Tree Oil and Willowherb decongest and purify impurities while helping balance oil production while Aloe Vera soothes the appearance of agitated, problematic skin. The perfect addition for oily, congested, breakout-prone skin.
- Medik8 Beta Gel™ – Perfect for problem skin, this all-in-one gel targets the pore for thorough decongestion.
Check out all of our products targeted at blackheads right here on the website.