How To Treat Ageing Skin•
Posted on April 18 2018
It seems the minute we can finally stop worrying about adolescent breakouts, we’re greeted by fine lines and wrinkles in the mirror. What gives? Didn’t we pay our dues with all those years of frantically concealing pimples as teens? Haven’t we earned the crystal clear skin we’ve always dreamed of?
Unfortunately, perfectly airbrushed skin is reserved for the Photoshopped models in magazines (unless you’re very, very lucky, or a baby). The reality is, we’re faced with skin woes at every stage of life. The good news is, there are a few ways to treat ageing skin and keep fine lines and wrinkles under control.
What causes fine lines and wrinkles?
- Sun Damage – Don’t blame it on the sunshine – no wait, UV rays are the biggest cause of visible signs of ageing. In the short term, sun exposure can give you a nasty burn and some extra freckles, but in the long term, you can be faced with serious damage. It can take decades from the time of sun damage for the signs of ageing to reveal themselves in the form of brown spots, dehydration and wrinkles. If you needed another reason to slip, slop, slap every day, a future of fine lines, wrinkles and sun spots should do it.
- Lifestyle Factors – There are several lifestyle factors that can contribute to premature ageing. For example, long-term smokers are more prone to fine lines and wrinkles than non-smokers. People who get less sleep tend to visibly age faster, as sleep assists with the healing and growth of our skin. Other factors that can contribute to premature ageing include alcohol, stress and diet.
- Genetics – In some cases, our DNA is to blame for how our skin cells repair themselves. So while you can thank your mum for your beautiful eyes, she may also be responsible for your wrinkles!
- Repeated Facial Expressions – They’re not called ‘laugh lines’ and ‘frown lines’ for nothing. The goal should be to have more of the former than the latter, at least!
- Ageing – It’s inevitable that our skin will lose collagen and elasticity as we age, causing fine lines and wrinkles to increase as each birthday passes.
Whether your wrinkles can be blamed on your past love for sunbaking or a few too many late nights on the town, we can all agree we’d like to maintain a youthful glow for as long as possible.
How To Prevent Fine Lines And Wrinkles
- Wear Sunscreen – If you’re not already wearing sunscreen or a moisturiser that contains SPF every day (tssk, tssk), it’s time to stock up. Your sunscreen should protect against both UVA and UVB rays and have an SPF of at least 30.
- Quit Smoking – This will not only do wonders for your skin, but also your hair, nails and overall health.
- Stay Hydrated – Dehydrated skin can be dull and emphasise fine lines and wrinkles. Make sure you’re getting enough H2O each day.
- Get Your 8 Hours – Get your beauty rest to maintain beautiful skin!
One of the best ways to prevent ageing skin is to use the right skincare products. We all know that, like a good wine, we only get better with age. But if fine lines and wrinkles are getting you down, be sure to reach for the right products.
How To Treat Ageing Skin: Our Favourite Products
Improving the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles shouldn’t require an expensive visit to your local cosmetic surgeon. These are our top picks for treating ageing skin:
- Medik8 C Tetra Cream – Maintain healthy collagen and elastin production with this professional-strength day cream rich in vitamin C, one of the best ingredients for anti-ageing.
- Cosmedix Age Defy Kit – Everything you need to smooth your wrinkles and maintain firm skin, from morning to night.
- Dr Eckstein Collagen Complex – Fight the signs of ageing and improve your skin’s texture with this potent gel.
- Aspect Gold Eye Cream – The skin surrounding the eyes is often the first to develop fine lines and wrinkles. This eye cream helps to combat lines, wrinkles, dark circles, puffiness and sensitivity.
- ASAP DNA Renewal Treatment – Give your cell renewal the ultimate boost and enjoy visible results with this scientifically formulated treatment.
View the entire range of Tina Kay Skincare products for ageing skin here to experience a real-life Benjamin Button transformation. OK, that’s an exaggeration – but you will look damn fine!
Pregnancy & Breast ...
The team here at Tina Kay Skincare have complied a list of products which are NOT safe to use during pregnancy & Breast Feeding. Please always...Read More
Skincare From The P...
Do you have memories of sleepovers that involved smearing a lumpy mixture of honey and banana on your face, complete with cucumber slices over you...Read More
How To Treat Skin P...
There’s nothing quite like having a fresh, glowing face after a skin procedure, but don’t expect to be a radiant Goddess immediately following you...Read More