Skincare Travel Essentials
Posted on March 08 2017
Whether you’re jet-setting off to sun yourself or hit the snow, nothing beats the excitement of packing for a holiday. But while you’re organising your passport and planning outfits, it’s important to pack the right skincare products, too.
Travelling may be a great way to tick off some items on your bucket list, but it can also put a lot of stress on your skin. From dry flights to humid tropical climates, keep your skin looking its best with these skincare travel essentials and tips.
How does travel affect skin?
Globetrotters can all agree on one thing: the alcohol served on planes should always be free. Also, travelling can leave your skin feeling funky.
Air Travel Dehydrates Your Skin
If you’ve ever been in an airplane for an extended period of time, you’ll know that it can often feel as dry as the Sahara Desert. The recirculated air in planes doesn’t have any moisture in it, so it sucks the moisture from your skin. This leaves you with chapped lips and a parched face.
Those with dry skin are left even flakier than usual, and those with oily skin will find their face producing even more oil than usual to make up for the moisture loss.
Changing Climates Can Trigger Skin Problems
Going from one climate to another can cause your skin to go into meltdown mode. As you step off your plane and into a new climate, your skin can struggle to adapt at first.
For example, an increase in temperature can cause redness, and a decrease in humidity can cause dehydration. Your skin’s reaction to a different climate can leave you dealing with a number of skin problems, from blocked pores and breakouts to flaking and sensitivity.
How To Take Care Of Your Skin During Air Travel
Before you board your flight, give your skin a second thought with these steps.
- Apply a nourishing serum before taking off. This will help your skin retain its moisture during your flight and protect it against dehydration.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated on long flights.
- If your skin feels dehydrated during the flight, apply a moisturising cream, not a mist or spray. The air in your plane will suck the hydration from mists and sprays right off your skin, whereas moisturising creams have a better chance of sinking into the layers of the skin.
- Use a light exfoliator to remove any dead skin cells once you’ve landed. Don’t forget to follow this up with a moisturiser.
It also pays to research the climate of your destination before you take off. This way, you will know whether to pack a light moisturiser (for humid climates) or rich moisturiser (for dry climates). Your skincare products should change depending on the climate you’re visiting.
Skincare Travel Essentials For Your Next Trip
Make room in your suitcase for these holiday must-haves and keep your skin healthy and happy:
- Medik8 Summer Hydration Pack – Everything you need to stay hydrated after long flights.
- Cosmedix Purity Clean Clarifying Kit – Banish blemishes and get your oil production back in check with these life savers.
- Aspect Redless – Neutralise redness and soothe stressed skin with this miracle serum.
- Dr Eckstein Sun Shield SPF 50 – No matter what climate you’re in, sun protection is a must.
Travelling is one of life’s greatest pleasures, but it sure can take a toll on your skin. Be prepared with the right skincare products to make the most of your overseas adventure. Because we all want to look our best in our #wanderlust Instagram pics!