Over washing and stripping the skin’s natural barrier function via harsh cleansing or over-exfoliating removes the skins protective layer leaving it more susceptible to chronic dehydration, bacterial invasion and persistent reactivity. Humidity, wind and evaporation can also contribute to the loss of skin integrity.
• The skin flourishes in a slightly acidic environment. The occasional or continual use of alkaline or very acidic products create imbalance resulting in redness, itchiness, tightness and burning.
• Hormonal changes instigated by stress, puberty and menopause can affect the skin’s biological repair processes. Genetic hormonal imbalances can often contribute to the appearance of diffused redness and dilated capillaries.
• Stinging, itching, blotches, tightness and redness are all indicators of a skin reaction. The use of any product that creates any of these symptoms should be ceased immediately to prevent further skin damage.
• Just because an ingredient or product claims to be ‘natural;
‘organic’ or ‘hypo-allergenic’ does not guarantee it will not cause a reaction. All skins are individual and even the toughest of complexions can occasionally react to certain products.
• The skin can react to every day household items such as laundry powder, cleaning products and hand sanitiser. Other common irritants include metals (such as nickel), rubber and even woollen clothing. Inflammation is not just restricted to the face and can appear
anywhere on the body.
• Foods and food products such as gluten, dairy, MSG, wine and soy can cause skin reactivity for some people. A simple elimination test can confirm any allergies.
CAUSES OF CONDITION
Sensitised and inflamed conditions have four contributing factors that should be taken into account in order to provide effective treatment and management.
• Genetic disorders
• Topical/ external irritants
• Allergic reactions
• Food intolerances
Skin disorders including psoriasis,
rosacea, ichthyosis, acne and certain forms of eczema are hereditary conditions affecting skin immunity, integrity and health. Whilst sufferers experience various degrees of inflammation and sensitivity, stress and the use of harsh or aggressive skin care products can
exacerbate symptoms creating intense dryness, redness, discomfort and heat.